You are here
Cradle to cradle
Cradle to Cradle
One of our key priorities is to maximize the energy efficiency of our glass production facilities. We do this by taking a global approach to our research and the exchange of best practices within the AGC Group.
AGC Glass is a leader in producing coated glass, which has a direct impact on reducing energy consumption. Based on the glass coating and configuration utilized, the glass can contribute to saving energy used for heating in cooler climates, while solar control coatings save energy used for air conditioning, resulting in greater indoor comfort and energy efficiency.
Our environmental policy has two main objectives:
- develop new products that deliver improved environmental performance throughout their entire lifetime, including the recycling stage
- implement production processes that help to preserve the environment by using the cleanest technologies currently available.
Remaking the way we make things
For the next step in our environmental policy, we joined forces with McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry (MBDC) , a consultancy founded in 1995 by architect and designer William McDonough and chemist Michael Braungart. They developed the Cradle to Cradle concept and now help clients to incorporate the Cradle to Cradle framework into their products, operations and organizations to eliminate the concept of waste by promoting innovative design.
MBDC emphasizes the following 3 points:
- Products & Materials - selecting safe and recyclable/biodegradable materials, designing a product for recyclability
- Operations use safe process chemicals, maximize renewable energy use, minimize carbon/water footprint, create a healthy workplace
- Organization adopting and pursuing an eco-effective vision, creating governance structures that are both top-down and bottom-up to maximize the full value of staff skills and perspectives
The Cradle to Cradle philosophy follows simple principles:
One of the guiding principles of the Cradle to Cradle philosophy is "Waste = Food". All materials that are 'end-of-life' in one product can be used to create another product. Products should be developed in systems where every ingredient is safe and beneficial – either biodegradable or fully recyclable into materials for subsequent product generations.
For more information, also visit: http://www.c2ccertified.org
LEED: Green products for green building
LEED, or Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, is a green building certification program that promotes a whole-building approach to sustainability.
The LEED certification program emphasizes on the following categories:
- Sustainable Sites
- Water Efficiency
- Energy and Atmosphere
- Materials and Resources
- Indoor Environmental Quality
- Innovation in Design
- Regional Priority
By actively using Cradle to Cradle Certified Products, architects, designers and specifiers are eligible for LEED points in the "Innovation in Design" category, leading to a higher ranking for green building certification.
AGC Glass Company North America is a member of the United States Green Building Council (USGBC).
To learn more about LEED and sustainable building design, visit www.usgbc.org.
Cradle to Cradle certification
Through certification, organizations can become entitled to use the Cradle to Cradle mark. Redesigning products, company management and production processes is the only way to do it right.
There are four levels of achievement in the certification: basic, silver, gold and platinum.
Organizations can only obtain Cradle to Cradle certification if they:
- Use materials that are safe for human health and the environment
- Design products and systems that allow material recovery and reutilization, such as recycling or composting
- Use renewable energy and energy-efficient production
- Make effiicient use of water resulting in maximum water quality after production
- Implement strategies for social responsibility
AGC Glass North America manufacturers a broad range of flat glass and coated glass products in the United States, utilizing materials that are made in America. Some of our specialty glass products are manufactured by AGC Glass Europe, such as our Lacobel, Matelac and Matelux. These products are C2C certified.